Saturday, September 15, 2012

Afraid of the dark

Whenever I get that twinge of 'and why am I here?' (it doesn't happen often, but you know sometimes when life just throws you a bad day) all I have to do is think about events like the other night, and I know exactly why.

I had just turned off the light in the girls room and was sitting on my bed when Samari came walking in, her her eyes brimming with tears. When I asked her what was wrong the tears just started falling. I was sure one of the other girls had said something, or her and Luviana were fighting about something, but she wouldn't say. She just came and crawled in my lap cuddling up with me. When she finally was snug in my arms, she looked at me and said, 'Mommy, I'm afraid. It's too dark.' Samari is six and the youngest of the five girls that I have sleeping in the house with me. Therefore even though she's not the youngest in the home, she definitely milks the roll of youngest child when we are just us 6 over there. With that being said, she has never complained of the dark before. She goes to sleep just fine on her own (she shares a room with 4 others and my bedroom is an entire 10 feet from theirs) and has never been afraid of the dark. But as I was sitting there with her hugging me, I was just pulled back to the whole reason God called me here. I'm here to kiss ouchies, to braid hair, to clean up after accidents and to be arms to snuggle in when the room feels just too dark. And I could never get enough of those things (well maybe not the accidents, but the others you know)

No comments:

Post a Comment