Friday, November 26, 2010

And I thought my blonde hair stuck out in Managua

Charity and I have officially arrived in Waspam!

After a thankfully uneventful plane ride, we are here! The flight in total was about an hour and a half. We flew about an hour, stopped in Bonanza dropped off a couple people, then flew another half an hour to get here to our final destination. I'm still not sure how much I love flying in an airplane that is only made to carry 12 people, but hey, it got us here safely, and in far less time than it would take to drive, or come by bus. There is also something very exotic about landing on a dirt runway and not needing to walk through any building; just landing, getting your bags as you get off, and going. There were luckily men with wheel barrel type things that were there to carry our bags as we walked to our hotel though.

So wait, why are we here??? All the kids in the home are miskito indians who were born in Waspam. New Hope Children's Foundation not only has the home that I have been serving in in El Crucero, but also a home here in Waspam. Among other things, goals of this trip are to take two kids that are already in the home here back with us to El Crucero, and to find any other kids in the area that need a home.

So far, this is what I have realized: if I thought I as a gringa with my blonde haired, and white skin stood out in Managua, and El Crucero, I was terribly mistaken. Walking down the streets of Waspam I now understand what it feels like to stand out. Here there is a completely different level of culture shock that goes on. In some ways it is not all that different from El Crucero, but in others, it is a whole other world. I figured out as we were walking through town, that its as if you have just gone back in time. I dont really have words to describe it other than, a third world country/city with an 1800s feel. Those of you who have been there, may have different ways to describe it, but at least with my initial scan, that is what I have decided. The language barrier is also a different obstacle. Here in Waspam, the main language spoken is Miskito. . . While I have learned few phrases in this language, neither Charity nor I have nearly enough knowledge to actually carry on full conversations. Fortunately, a fair number of people in the city speak spanish as well, so hopefully we will be able to get help translating whenever needed!

We have lots of work ahead of us, in order to get everything done we need to in the next week! Please keep us in your prayer as we work at hiring someone to take care of the kids in the home here, and as we try to carry out the work of the ministry, rescuing more of God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment