Saturday, September 4, 2010

Beautiful Children

As I sit here writing, I have beautiful Olfelia on my lap. Can you think of anything I would enjoy more! Olfelia is nearly four years old but because of extreme malnutrition is barely the size of a two year old. She has such a little personality. Although she doesn't say many words, she can understand most of the things you tell her and then either chooses to obey or disobey with a huge grin on her face. She also has a fabulous laugh and gives lots of kisses!

I am really enjoying everything about being here. I started this week teaching Bible class to the children at the primary school. So far it has been a lot of fun, and the schedule works out really well. I start at 7, teach all 6 grades with two little breaks throughout, and then am finished at noon! So most of the afternoons I have come back and helped take care of the babies, and play with the bigger kids.

The other day we went to Matagalpa, a city a ways from here, and visited a number of preschools and other sites, looking to start feeding centers there. It is an area with such extreme poverty, it breaks your heart, but everyone here is praying that the feeding centers will do well to serve the people.
New Hope Children's Foundation, the organization I am here with is made up of a number of parts. Originally came the school, Mas Que Vencedores (More than Conquerors). There is a primary school and a secondary school that educate a couple hundred children, all here on scholarship. The children's home has 12 children: five babies between a year and a half and Olfelia, six girls between 7 and 12 years old, and one older boy that is 15. The last part is the feeding centers that have been started all over the country in order to help feed the hungry people.

It is almost time for breakfast (we get to sleep in a little on Saturdays :) So I hope everyone is well! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment